UMANO CINEMA SHORTS
UMANO CINEMA SHORTS
Umano Online Short Film Festival
We champion efforts to build empathy through storytelling. We strive to award quality shorts regardless of their budget.
We accept short films (20 minutes or less) across 4 categories twice a year:
* In order to qualify for the Student Film category, your short must have been completed while you were enrolled in full-time education. Please note: You will be required to upload a picture of your student ID if applying for the Student Film category.
The official selection of films will be viewable on the Umano website.
Umano Cinema Shorts seeks to support and champion short film from across the globe. We’re looking for inspiring, innovative filmmakers who share our passion for inspiring change through film and video. Whether you’re an established filmmaker or just starting out, Umano Cinema Shorts wants to hear from you.
ACTION AND ACTIVISM
Umano Cinema Shorts rewards the winner of each category with a $5,000 prize.
- We only accept short films via FilmFreeway.
- We only accept short films based on our theme of radical/critical empathy.
- Maximum film length 20 minutes (we have no minimum length).
- Films in languages other than English will only be accepted with English subtitles.
We support indie filmmaking and will award additional points to shorts produced on a micro budget and/or minimal crew. We will also award additional points for shorts that address the well-being of humans, animals, and the environment holistically.
We may choose to screen selected entries at our events. You will be notified before a screening of your film via email.
To stay up-to-date on our events, please subscribe to our newsletter. We only send emails when there are important Umano updates to share.
If your short is selected for evening at an event we will inform you. We will also send you an exhibition file request email. You will need to provide an HD (1920 x 1080) file.
- Umano Cinema Shorts has no festival premiere eligibility requirements. Shorts that have screened at festivals are still eligible.
- Umano Cinema Shorts has no public or internet broadcast eligibility requirements. If your short has screened on Vimeo etc, it is still eligible.
- Changes to submitted films will only be accepted if accompanied by a new submission.
- The decision of the selection committee is final.
- Stills of selected films may also be shown on the Umano website and publicity/promo material including press releases, brochures and other materials.
- Entrants are responsible for securing all rights and permissions from copyright and other holders relating to their short.
- Umano Cinema Shorts reserves the right to update or modify these terms and policies without prior notice.
We consider films fully before making a decision. Decisions are made in two rounds during our 6-month submission process. However, we will notify all filmmakers by or before April 30th, 2021 and November 30th, 2021 via email.
- After selection, notification letters will be sent electronically.
- Umano Cinema Shorts does not accept trailers or rough assemblies but will accept work-in-progress cuts (picture lock with temp sound, color, etc.). Please be aware Umano Cinema Shorts will not view multiple updates/versions of your film for programming consideration.
Winter: 20th December 2020
Summer: 1st July 2021